Since 2012, Berkeley Lab IPO, with the approval of the Berkeley Lab Directorate, has awarded Innovation Grants from the Lab’s royalty funds to Berkeley Lab-developed technologies determined to have sufficient commercial interest yet lacking funding for developments such as advanced/specialized testing or prototype development that would attract potential licensees and industry partners. Berkeley Lab PIs commit to a specific scope and timeframe in which to complete the work and provide progress reports to IPO.
The 18 projects funded to date have yielded
- six startups: Heliotrope, Newomics, Lexington Biosciences, NexTech Batteries, Sepion, Exogen
- over $500,000 in software license income from new software in the TOUGH and EMGeo Suites
- nearly $22M in follow-on funding
- a new product: Newomics’ M3 emitter
- a new product in testing: Lexington Biosciencies’ Heart Sentry
Go here for a detailed report on Innovation Grant outcomes.